Who is Sacramento Kings target Dmitry Kulagin?
The Sacramento Kings are reportedly after another talented, young backcourt prospect. Yahoo! Sports reported yesterday that they are interested in Dmitry Kulagin, a 22-year-old guard out of Russia.
As an automatic entry into this year’s NBA draft, Kulagin went unselected. If he were to join the Sacramento Kings, the 6-foot-6, 195-pound prospect would sign as a free agent.
Who is Dmitry Kulagin? Let’s find out.
The reported Sacramento Kings target was ranked as the 16th best international prospect born in 1992 by Draft Express.
- Draft Express has watched Kulagin closely over the last three years. Draft Express notes that Kulagin is a fluid playmaker, has a great feel for the game and is capable of creating scoring opportunities for himself and others off the dribble. But, his defense, as well as his approach and attitude are question marks.
- Draft Express offered this assessment of Kulagin in 2011: “The best guard at the Under-18 European Championships this past summer and a candidate for the prestigious FIBA Europe Player of the Year in the ‘young men’s’ category, Dmitry Kulagin has to feel like a breath of fresh air for Russian basketball.”
In 17 games, the potential Sacramento Kings guard averaged 8.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists with BC Triumph in the VTB United League this season.
- Kulagin played well enough to win part of the 2013-14 Young Player of the Year award. He received the same number of votes as Edgaras Ulanovas, a 22-year-old shooting guard out of Lithuania, to earn a share of the honor.
- More details on the award: “This prize was inaugurated by the League and Championat.com last season to recognize the top player 23 years or younger in the League. The winner is selected by the sum of several factors: The results of each month of the regular season, following which the three top young players were recognized; players’ efficiency rating; and the opinion of the League’s expert panel and Championat.com.”
The Sacramento Kings got a first-hand look at Dmitry Kulagin at this year’s Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy.
- Prior to the 2014 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings front office made the trip to Italy to scout the annual international showcase. Kulagin was among the participants this summer, having last played in the 2012 Eurocamp.
- Brett Pollakof of NBC Sports’ Pro Basketball Talk was there and had this assessment of Kulagin: “His activity on both ends of the floor was immediately noticeable, and he was in attack mode from the moment he stepped on the court. Kulagin finished 6-of-10 from the field in his two games combined, and his athleticism and effort was a joy to watch.”