Training camp update: Day 4.
Today’s afternoon practice didn’t last nearly as long as expected. Saying that, Coach Paul Westphal had less to add today than he did yesterday. Here is the news for today:
- Injury Updates: Samuel Dalembert (adductor) returned to practice at half speed. Antoine Wright (quad/hip flexor) returned to practice.
- New Injury to report: Rookie Hassan Whiteside has what the team is calling a “strained left patella tendon” and is day to day.
- Pooh Jeter remains the talk of camp. The media folks keep asking and Coach Westphal keeps obliging when it comes to praising Jeter: “If they’re playing basketball and he is in the gym, he is the fastest player in the gym. He’s a really good shooter, he’s a very good leader, he see’s the floor, he’s gained some experience overseas now and he’s ready for the NBA.”
- Westphal on the race for the final roster spots: “Today, the three best players on the floor were Darnell Jackson, Luther Head and Marcus Landry”, he added that all three players were good yesterday as well.
- Power forward Carl Landry is typically one of the last to leave the gym. Today was no exception. Landry continued to work on his baseline jumper long after the other courts had cleared.
I’ll leave you with this footage of Omri Casspi working hard with Kings assistant coaches Jim Eyen and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Like most of the Kings, Casspi is staying late to work on his game. From my vantage point, Casspi is intense and his own toughest critic.
Saturday practice is again in the afternoon so camp updates will be slightly delayed. Don’t forget that Sunday’s practice is open to the public in a general admission, first come first serve seating arrangement. If you have kids, it is a great day to come out early and sit in seats in the lower bowl for free. Parking is also free and tickets can be downloaded and printed here.
Here is a short pictorial look at the day.