Poll: Weighing in on the candidates in the Sacramento Kings’ general manager search
The search continues for a new leader in the Sacramento Kings’ front office. Vivek Ranadivé and company have yet to name an official successor to outgoing basketball president Geoff Petrie, whose contract expires at the end of this month.
The list of candidates is intriguing to say the least. Here’s a brief rundown of what’s happened so far in the search.
- R.C. Buford of the San Antonio Spurs was named as candidate early on in the process, but later told the San Antonio Express News that he’s happy where he is. “I’m exactly where I’m going to be,” Buford said to Mike Monroe of the Express News. “I have no idea what kind of a list anybody has, but I’m exactly where I want to be.”
- Travis Schlenk, Mike Dunleavy Sr. and Chris Wallace were all interviewed last weekend. Wallace was the apparent front runner all last week with some reporting that his hiring was imminent.
- According to CBS Sports, Ranadivé and company have had “exploratory conversations” with former Warriors president Chris Mullin about the position.
- Kings analyst Henry Turner suggested last week that former Kings great Chris Webber has interest in taking over the Sacramento front office.
- With their own front office in flux following the departure of Masai Ujiri to Toronto, the Denver Nuggets have allowed Ranadivé to interview Pete D’Alessandro. He is Denver’s vice-president of basketball ops and is being considered as a successor to Ujiri.
- Hall of Famer Larry Bird reportedly had conversations about joining the Kings, but has since withdrawn his name from contention according to the Sacramento Bee.
- And yesterday, a new contender was introduced by USA Today. Current TNT analyst and former Kings point guard Kenny Smith confirmed to the national newspaper that he’s had discussions with Ranadivé about the opportunity. “We’ve been talking; we’ve been talking,” Smith told USA Today. “That’s all I’m going to say.”
So of the candidates who remain, which hopeful intrigues you the most? Take the poll below and weigh in on the comments.