City of Sacramento acquires final piece of land needed for new Kings arena

Vivek Ranadivé, Chris Granger and Mark Mastrov sit courtside of the Raptors/Kings match-up on Feb. 5, 2014 (Photo: Tobin Halsey)

The final parcel of land needed to build a new arena for the Sacramento Kings has been acquired. Sacramento Superior Court Judge Raymond Cadei ruled Thursday that the city is permitted to take control over the former Macy’s Men’s Store at the Downtown Plaza by way of eminent domain.

“We are pleased by the ruling and thank the City and other partners for their leadership on this issue,” Kings president Chris Granger said in a prepared statement. “Today’s news moves us yet another step closer to breaking ground and building a truly world-class entertainment and sports complex that will revitalize downtown Sacramento and cement the Kings long-term future in this incredible community.”

The California Public Employee’s Retirement System, better known as CalPERS, originally owned on the building located on 600 K Street, which has been vacant since last fall. Its ground lease was held by U.S. Bank. A new practice facility for the Kings is expected to be built on the parcel of land.

The ruling is one of the last legal stumbling blocks that the city and the Kings needed to overcome in their effort to build the new $450-million arena at the Downtown Plaza. Just last month, another superior court judge tossed out a lawsuit by anti-arena proponents who pushed a signature drive to send the project to a June vote.

“Today, Sacramento cleared one of the final remaining hurdles standing between our community and a new world-class entertainment and sports center,” Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said in a statement issued on his Facebook page. “With the Judge’s ruling, the City and Kings now have a straight path to begin construction on a transformative project that will create 4,000 jobs and revitalize our downtown. From day one, our community has played to win, and I’m proud that once again we have stood up to outsiders working against our best interests. The countdown continues to groundbreaking this fall.”

Demolition on the Downtown Plaza is expected to take place in May/June. The new arena is expected to open by fall of 2016.




comments

Tags

About: Jonathan Santiago

Jonathan Santiago serves Cowbell Kingdom as senior editor specializing in writing, podcasting and video production. He also handles the majority of CK’s day-to-day beat coverage of the Kings.