Cowbell Kingdom Podcast Ep 25: Dr. Steven Nissen of the Cleveland Clinic on Chuck Hayes heart evaluationDr. Steven Nissen of the Cleveland Clinic discusses the follow-up medical evaluation on Kings big man Chuck Hayes. More
A busy Thursday at Power Balance Pavilion yesterday. We caught up with Sacramento Kings rookie point guard Isaiah Thomas during Kings Media Day for this week's edition of the Cowbell Kingdom Podcast. Highlights
- Is it sometimes tough being a rookie on a team full of experienced young players? "It is, because at the same time, we're the same age, so it's like "why are you telling me to do that?" But at the same time, they've got some years in the league and they've been here for a few more years than I have, so I turn to them guys for advice any chance I can anyway."
- Thomas thought friend and fellow Washington-native Jamal Crawford was going to be a Sacramento King. He says he speaks to Crawford on a daily basis about all things. But the last four or five conversations centered on where the now-Portland Trailblazers was going to play this season.
- DeMarcus Cousins sprained his right ankle by stepping on Thomas' foot. The rookie point tells us how the injury went down.
Listen after the jump...
turned down multiple offers from European teams during the lockout, even with the chance of a cancelled NBA season. In the end, patience paid off for the 24-year old shooting guard out of LSU. CK: It was fun to watch you tweeting on Friday night, the emotional response. Talk a little about that, finding out you got your new contract. MT: It was kind of emotional. There wasn't no boo-hooing, it was just a couple of tears of joy me and my mom shared. But it's over with and it's down to business now. ... More
Larry Coon is author of the NBA Salary Cap FAQ and he joins James Ham and Jonathan Santiago to break down aspects of the new deal in today's Cowbell Kingdom Podcast. Highlights
- On the new amnesty rule: "I think this is cool. I think one of the things the league needs more of is silent auctions and that's what they got here."
- Today is the day B-List issues in the new CBA are being addressed. What's Coon's take on one of those minor issues - the draft age limit? I was thinking that the age limit was something the players would use as a trade chip. They would say: "Alright, you want the higher age limit? We'll give it to you as long you give us something else here, " and I think that's something that might happen when they start talking about it.
- What does this new CBA mean for free agents and the NBA trade market today? "For a team like the Kings, I think restricted free agents are going to be more in play because they shortened the matching period for the original team from seven days to three days. Now other teams aren't going to be tying up their salary so much and they're going to be more willing to go after other team's players."
Listen after the jump... ... More
Donté Greene this afternoon for his take on the tentative end of the NBA lockout. Thoughts on what's transpired over the last 24 hours? I'm happy, pleased. Looks like we have a fair deal in place. So just looking to get back out there and be playing and hanging with my teammates. Have you received any messages from the leadership of the dissolved players unions? Nah, no emails or phone calls quite yet. I don't think it's a done deal for sure. Nothing has been signed to my knowledge. But I believe they're happy with the agreement in place and probably are looking to sign and definitely going to sign. ... More