From Kevin Arnovitz's piece on TrueHoop earlier this week:
But for the guys who are in charge of those team websites and NBA.com, the pending deadline is a huge deal.That's because the moment the clock strikes midnight on the current CBA, all those images and videos of NBA players have to disappear off NBA-owned digital ... More
New Kings power forward J.J. Hickson spoke with media today following his trade from the Cleveland Cavaliers.HighlightsHickson was on his way to his gym when he received a phone call from his agent informing him of the trade.
Like many NBA players, Hickson is training in Las Vegas and plans on staying there until the ... More
Taylor/ICON artist rendering of new Sacramento SEC.
At a press conference today from the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Downtown Sacramento, the regional arena commission, recently renamed Think Big Sacramento
, released a study identifying the economic benefits of a new entertainment and sports complex. According to the report, the key findings are:
- $157 million in revenue for the entire region on an annual basis, including $100 million in Downtown Sacramento, $116 million to the City of Sacramento, $131 million to the County of Sacramento and $157 million to the greater Sacramento region.
- Over a thirty year period, the Sacramento region will receive over $7 billion in economic activity.
- 3.1 million new visitors to Downtown Sacramento annually.
- An increase of over 300,000 guests to hotels within walking distance of a new downtown arena, should they spend at least one evening overnight in Sacramento.
- Fiscal benefits for government agencies created by the three-million new visitors include $6.7 million annually generated by $5.8 million in sales taxes over $900,000 in transient occupancy taxes. Additional revenue would be expected to be generated by increases in other sources of government.
Among those present today was Think Big Sacramento's
Executive Director Chris Lehane. He said the commission hopes to announce a public-private financing model by the beginning of September. And with the NBA lockout set to take effect at midnight, Lehane was asked if a work stoppage is a concern regarding the project's momentum."Obviously (we'll have to) deal with a potential lockout situation," Lehane said. "Obviously we're aware of it and cognizant of it. But at the end of the day, we've made it pretty clear that this is not solely about building a facility for a professional basketball team. This is about what makes sense for the broader region and specifically what other types of civic benefits can be derived from this."Also notably in attendance was State Assembly Member Roger Dickinson, Sacramento Councilman Rob Fong and the report's author Cathleen M. Dominico. She is managing partner of Capitol Public Finance Group
- "a full service, independent public finance consulting firm head-quartered in Sacramento."After the jump, audio of Lehane and Dominico addressing media questions and a link to download the report.
It is official. Omri Casspi and a conditional future first-round pick for J.J. Hickson.Kings VP of Basketball Ops Geoff Petrie:
“We’re very excited about the opportunity to acquire J.J. Hickson from the Cavaliers,” said Petrie. “We believe he’ll continue to fortify our frontline going forward. He’s an ... More
Multiple sources are reporting a deal between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Sacramento Kings involving forwards Omri Casspi and J.J. Hickson is imminent.From Marc Stein, ESPN.com:
It's believed that the teams must complete the deal Thursday before midnight to ensure its completion, with a lockout widely expected at 12:01 ... More
Jimmer Fredette isn't the only Kings rookie to have a documentary filmed about his journey to the NBA. The Kings other new point guard, Isaiah Thomas is the subject of his own movie as well. From SLAM:
From training in Las Vegas at IMPACT Basketball Academy, to the Chicago ... More
This story never gets old. Via The Dagger:
"The inmates vote on what they want to watch on TV each week, and of course, they want to watch Jimmer," Mount McGregor recreational director John Montgomery said. "If BYU's on our local television, every dorm will have the game on. Every ... More
Quite a 24-hour period for the newest members of the Sacramento Kings. Upon their arrival in California, rookies Tyler Honeycutt, Isaiah Thomas and Jimmer Fredette were greeted by hundreds of eager fans yesterday at Sacramento International Airport.Video
: Jimmer and company's arrival at Sac Interntional (via Kings.com
Then today, they were formally introduced to the local media and appeared at a rally at Arden Fair Mall.Notes, more video and a photo gallery of today's events after the jump.
From the rally at Arden Fair Mall. Not really in focus, but I think you get the picture. And yes, this really happened. More
Tyreke Evans wrapped up the second day of his two-day basketball camp at the Dr. Ephraim Williams Family Life Center in Oak Park. If you recall, we were unable to get Evans' comments on the trade to move down from the seventh pick and reacquire forward John Salmons yesterday, as the trade wasn't made official until the ... More