Josh Selby, Xavier Silas and Malcom Thomas Workout Reaction
Yesterday, the Kings brought Kansas’ Josh Selby, Texas’ Cory Joseph, Georgetown’s Austin Freeman, Northern Illinois’ Xavier Silas and San Diego State’s Malcolm Thomas for a Father’s Day workout. I usually leave the analysis to James, since he has a much keener eye when it comes to picking up on nuances and tendencies of these prospects than I do. But since he was unable to attend, I’ll share a few of my thoughts on the prospects along with video of the post-workout interviews.
- Quick trigger. Sees himself in the mold of Russell Westbrook or Derrick Rose, which is evident in his scoring mentality.
- I found it interesting that he was one of the few prospects who seemed genuinely concerned about a lockout. He spoke to Gavin Maloof after the workout for several minutes and among the things they talked about was the looming lockout. Most prospects who’ve come through Sacramento have said the draft is their main priority and that a lockout is something they’re not thinking about right now.
- He also spent a significant amount of time speaking with Bobby Jackson. Seems like a young man who is very receptive to feedback.
- Very enthusiastic guy who just seems excited at the possibility of playing in the NBA. He has long arms, which helps his shot-blocking ability.
- Thomas definitely knows he would be a role player if he makes the league. At the next level, he sees himself as a defensive, energy guy and it’s something he’s been trying to show in workouts.
- He also said he’s kept up with fellow Aztec Kawhi Leonard throughout the predraft process. To prepare for his workout, Thomas said he picked Leonard’s brain on his Sacramento experience.
- Another guy who just seemed genuinely happy participating in the predraft process. Silas said he hopes to bring scoring, toughness and defense to whatever team he plays for.
Check back to Cowbell Kingdom later this afternoon for analysis and interviews of today’s workout.