We already broke the news regarding the J.R. Giddens and Donald Sloan being waived as well as the injury updates for Dalembert (out), Jackson (questionable to doubtful), Whiteside (out) and Jeter (questionable). Practice looked a lot thinner without all of these players and certainly, the lack of front court depth played a major role in who was cut and who wasn’t today. Congratulations Connor Atchley, you live to fight another day. Here are the camp noted from today:
- Westphal on the roster moves: “They did well but the numbers, you got to cut down sooner or later. It was obvious to us that they weren’t going to be on the team, so we’re moving forward.”
- Westphal heaped praise on Cousins, Jeter, Evans and Jackson for their play in last nights scrimmage.
- Westphal on the combination of Jason Thompson and DeMarcus Cousins last night: “There was some good things. They definitely get all over the boards. They are both versatile enough that they can post up or make plays in the high post. They can both shoot the ball well. It was a good combination.”
- Westphal on Jason Thompson at the center position: “I think he is a viable center, I like JT at center”.
- Westphal on Antoine Wright: “Antoine is one of our best ball handlers and decision makers. He’s an extra play maker out there at either the two or the three spot. He’s a very defensive oriented player and he is a veteran player that understands his role at both ends of the court.
- Westphal on the small forward battle: “The small forward battle is wide open- I talked to the team about it today. We need the small forward to defend the best athletes in the world. It might be LeBron James one night, Kevin Durant the next night, Kobe the next night, Genobili the next night. They’ve got to be up for that challenge. That’s the number one thing, and the co-number one thing is that they need to be able to hit an open shot. We are looking for somebody that can answer that call in those areas. We don’t need somebody who is a #1 primary offensive option whether in reality or in their own mind. We need somebody who’s going to get the ball inside, knock down open shots and be a good catalyst for the team. We’ll see who emerges.”
- On Garcia, as previously reported here on TPP: “I am looking at Garcia as more of a two right now.”
It was a pretty eventful day at camp with the roster moves and injuries. Coach Westphal was by far the most candid he has been throughout when speaking on the small forward position. I will not speculate on who I think he was talking about, that would be making the news, not reporting it.
Here is some camp video of Carl Landry working late for your viewing pleasure. This is an everyday occurrence folks: